"Education is our passport to the future. For tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare it today." – Malcolm X

Assessment and Motivation

Today, we welcomed Janet Chow, program consultant of Burnaby, into our classroom via Bluejeans. Janet shared her love for ed tech with our class by outlining four key checkpoints within ed tech:

Purpose: how do you start with big ideas and weave in different modalities for multisensory experiences?

Transition:how might students move from consuming to creating?

Lighthouse:How might we embed assessment to empower?

Next step:What’s your next step as a teacher? What’s are your students’ next steps?

We started the class by creating our own stories. We were given a bunch of materials (buttons, popsicles sticks, buttons, etc.) and asked to build a representation of our journey and us as educators. Janet called this a “firestarter” activity, and I found that it kindled my creativity through hands-on learning.

One of the key points Janet mentioned is that assessment’s role is to motivate and inspire. Using assessment in this role allows students to question their own learning. I loved this take on assessment, and connected assessment to motivation and inspire to ed tech. For the learners that love technology, we can offer ed-tech as a modality option for assessment. For example, as we learned with Sandra MacAulay, you can use ipads to solve a math problem in numerous different ways. This is providing motivation to those students that enjoy technology, in turn, making learning an exciting opportunity.

1. Carlo Bellisomo

Using ed-tech as an assessment option for students is an interesting way to motivate and inspire the students, as part of the lighthouse checkpoint with ed-tech. I appreciate how you place an emphasis on the students fully participating in their own assessment pieces- I keep going back to grade school never having this opportunity and thinking how beneficial it would have been.