Jessica Erickson

"Education is our passport to the future. For tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare it today." – Malcolm X

#oneword2020: Reflection

My #oneword2020 was reflection. One of my goals at the beginning of this practicum was to make my reflection meaningful through documentation. At the beginning of this practicum, this meaningful reflection was intended to be in some form of reflection journal. After trying to write my reflections in a journal, I soon realized that I was spending the majority of my time thinking about how to put my thoughts into words than my reflections themselves. It wasn’t until a conversation in the staff lunchroom that an idea popped in my head. One of the teachers at my school was discussing a recent assessment workshop that she went to held by Sandra Herbst. She mentioned that Sandra said an excellent way to give feedback is to write your feedback on sticky notes, and have students carry and place that sticky note wherever it is relevant to apply the feedback given. I loved the premise of this and figured it could apply to my reflection practice. I started reflecting after each day, starting with what went well throughout the day. I then moved onto what needed improvement and found a few words that fit a common theme throughout my day. Some days it would be 1 word, some days it would be 3 or more. I took these word(s) and wrote them down on a large sticky note for the next day. The next day, I would place the sticky note on my day plan as a reminder of what I was focusing on for the day. I found this method to work much better for me as opposed to the reflection journal. Throughout the day, the bright yellow sticky note was my reflection feedback to myself.

My goal relating to my one word, to create meaningful reflection, was most definitely reasonable and attainable. Although my reflection didn’t look like what I had initially planned, I’m glad that I explored different options to find what worked best for me. I think the use of the sticky note method allowed me to enjoy the process of reflection, leading me to satisfy my goal. This trial and error process reinforced the idea that there is more than one way to represent learning. Some people may do best writing their reflections in a journal, while others may do best communicating their reflections verbally. For me, I worked best reflecting with my sticky note method.

I learned so many valuable pieces of information about myself and my students throughout my process of reflection. I learned the importance of adaptation for both myself and my students. I also learned how powerful feedback can be, whether it be feedback to self or feedback to others. Ironically, I learned that less is sometimes more. I was trying to create extravagant journal entries with appealing writing and grammar when all I needed was a sticky note with a few words. I am so glad that I chose reflection as my one word. The word reflection resonates more with me now than ever, because I know there will always be a place for reflection in my practice as an educator.

My Journey Through Educational Technology

What is Ed Tech? Before taking EDUC 431, I would’ve said something along the lines of, “it’s the ability to use computers and technology.” After taking EDUC 431, I can tell you that ed tech is so much more than this. Ed tech is inclusivity. It’s professional development. It’s assessment. It’s so much more than I can type up in one blog post, but if I were to capture ed tech in one word, it would be PURPOSE.

We started the journey of this course by creating a twitter account. I was excited to create an account for professional development, and did I ever realize the benefits that could come from having a professional twitter account! One of my most exciting moments was participating in my first #bcedchat. I connected with many likeminded educators online who praised me for my participation as a teacher candidate and encouraged me to continue participating. This ability to network with some of the best educators from all around the world made me feel empowered. Through twitter, I feel empowered to connect and network with educators I only would’ve dreamed about talking to had I not created twitter!

Afterwards came my e-portfolio (which is still in the making). I remember being so frustrated with word press that I emailed our professor asking if I could use a different platform. Christine encouraged me to embrace the learning curve of Word Press, and I’m so glad that she did. I stepped out of my comfort zone and started experimenting with the website. I was so excited when I found out ways to put photos into my pages and blog posts, and even more excited when a classmate showed me how to link my twitter live feed to my portfolio! Christine’s words of encouragement allowed me to embrace my growth mindset.

In this class, we’ve had the amazing opportunity to connect with eleven educators who specialize in different areas of ed tech. Yes, ELEVEN. We learned everything from coding without computers to how to create portfolios using Freshgrade. The reason I chose purpose as my word to describe ed tech is because this is the common theme I saw amongst all these speakers. Although there are many great ed tech resources out there, we have to be mindful that we are using them with purpose. These presenters have shown us how to use the resources given to us with purpose. For example, Valerie Irving shed light on using ed tech as an opportunity for learners to participate who aren’t able to physically make it into class. In addition, Sandra MacAulay showed us how to make ipad use meaningful through a unique math lesson that allows learners to explain their thinking in multiple ways. Throughout the repertoire of activities we gained in this class, every single activity provided an access point for all learners. This is so important in order to create the inclusive environment that so many teachers are searching for, little do we know it’s in the palm of our hands through ed tech. I learned that as long as we are placing our learners at the centre of the learning and setting goals for ourselves and our learners, we can make ed tech have purpose.

I am so grateful to have experienced this learning journey alongside my peers. I’m leaving this course with a portfolio I can contribute to for the rest of my life, an amazing personal learning network, a mind full of WONDERFUL lesson plans, and an eagerness to explore and integrate ed tech into my classroom.

Assessment and Motivation

Today, we welcomed Janet Chow, program consultant of Burnaby, into our classroom via Bluejeans. Janet shared her love for ed tech with our class by outlining four key checkpoints within ed tech:

Purpose: how do you start with big ideas and weave in different modalities for multisensory experiences?

Transition:how might students move from consuming to creating?

Lighthouse:How might we embed assessment to empower?

Next step:What’s your next step as a teacher? What’s are your students’ next steps?

We started the class by creating our own stories. We were given a bunch of materials (buttons, popsicles sticks, buttons, etc.) and asked to build a representation of our journey and us as educators. Janet called this a “firestarter” activity, and I found that it kindled my creativity through hands-on learning.

One of the key points Janet mentioned is that assessment’s role is to motivate and inspire. Using assessment in this role allows students to question their own learning. I loved this take on assessment, and connected assessment to motivation and inspire to ed tech. For the learners that love technology, we can offer ed-tech as a modality option for assessment. For example, as we learned with Sandra MacAulay, you can use ipads to solve a math problem in numerous different ways. This is providing motivation to those students that enjoy technology, in turn, making learning an exciting opportunity.

Understanding Assessment as a Student

Kristina Tzetzos is a passionate educator who provided us with valuable assessment information during this week’s educational technology class. Kristina uses an app called Spinndle for student assessment. The assessment provided on Spinndle not only provides academic assessment, but also assessment of skills such as monitoring behaviour, tracking progress, collecting artifacts, and reflecting.

One of the things that Kristina pointed out about student portfolios is that assessment has to mean something to students before they engage in it. Kristina views assessment as literacy, and students do not simply go into self-assessment knowing the meaning behind it. Often times, we are assuming that students know how to assess, that they know how the assessment is related to standards, and that they understand how artifacts display growth. Realistically, we have to TEACH students how to self-assess through modelling and instruction, much like we would with literacy in Math or Language Arts.

I found that Kristina provided us with valuable information on student literacy in assessment. What we learned from Kristina can be applied throughout a variety of apps such as Fresh Grade, and MyEd BC.

Sandra Macaulay Part 2: Coding From Scratch

Sandra Macaulay returned to our Ed Tech class for a presentation on coding from scratch. This was interesting seeing as we just had a presentation on coding without computers from Carrie Antoniazzi. The combination of the two presentations gives me two unique perspectives on coding.

Sandra started the presentation by modelling the lesson as if we were younger students. This allowed us to see the management techniques that she uses in her classroom. For the first activity, we were given a package of cards with codes (straight, turn, hop, etc.) to be placed on the ground and followed. This was very similar to the first activity we did with Carrie Antoniazzi, which allowed me to see a common theme of coding without computers: movement. The physical movement that is incorporated into these activities makes for a fun, engaging activity.

Sandra also introduced us to the app Scratch Jr. The app allows you to create animations, text, and dictation to explain your learning. In the example given to us, the fish in the animation ate a phytoplankon. Throughout the animation, text bubbles were shown to explain learning. The app allows you to do coding through drag and drop commands as well. Your character, who starts in the middle of the page, follows the directions or coding you give them. The commands are very easy to read, and can easily be used by both primary and intermediate levels. The best part is the content easily uploads to FreshGrade, which is great for student portfolios!

I love that although this presentation was on the same topic as Carrie Antoniazzi, both presenters brought a unique perspective to our classroom and provided us with different resources and tools.

Podcasts: One of the Best Professional Development Tools

I have been listening to the Teachers on Fire Podcast for a couple months now, so when I found out Tim Cavey would be presenting in our class I was super excited! The thing that I enjoyed most about Tim’s podcast was his passion. You can really tell that Tim is passionate about what he does in education and with his podcast. When I listen to eduators who are passionate like Tim, I find their passion radiates and in turn, motivates me.

Tim talked about several benefits of podcasts, which were:

-Podcasts share best practices for teaching and learning

-Podcasts amplify the voices of inspiring eduators

-Podcasts continue individual learning and profession development

-Podcasts allow you to build relationships with other professionals in the field

-Podcasts are highly valued by listeners

-Podcasts are easily accessible and convenient

I couldn’t agree more with these points. What a great way to engage in professional development in our busy lives! I’ll throw on a podcast on my commute to work and school, and by the end of my drive, I’ll have 10 minute of professional development by simply listening.

The most powerful quote that Tim made was “avoid stagnancy- be in places that stretch you.” I love this quote because I find it to be so true. I’ll leave this quote here as a reminder to myself and others to CHALLENGE yourself. Get out of your confort zone. Who knows, one day you might be the creator of a podcast.

Ed Tech: Endless Benefits!

Karen Lirenman, a teacher from SD39 in Vancouver came in to talk to our class about the benefits of Ed Tech. I’ve outlined a summary of why she believes Ed Tech is beneficial:

1. Allows access point to every learner

-Can read books online- one child can read a simple book while another child reads novel

-evens playing field

-Open ended

-Speech-to-text and text-to-speech

-Braille computers

-Drawing apps and photo apps (instead of writing)

-Different coloured backgrounds for vision problems (purple instead of white)

1. Students show what they know in ways that work the best for them

“Multi-tool screwdriver”: you can use whatever tool you need

-Open-ended apps: these apps allow your students to work with what works best for them

-Book Creator: book-making app. Students can make comics, illustrations, text, etc.

-Can be used anywhere from Kindergarten-Post Secondary

-“Students can work at the level that’s best for them”- we tend to forget about this sometimes

-Too powerful to be used for “drill and practice apps”, which have a negative impact on learning

-Use of technology for creation vs. consumption

-At home, a lot of students use their technology for consumption (Netlix, videogames, etc.)

-The power in technology is to use it for creation. Allow students to use technology in the way that is best for them.

-Creation and documentation of their own work

-Can add their voice to their work (i.e. take a photo of base ten blocks making 345 and explain their process with text. Can also record their voice and explain their process.

-In turn, you can leave the students voice feedback

1. Technology is a pretty safe tool

-Can safely use district computers/ipads/technology without worrying about where information is stored

-Need to be careful about where the app is storing information

-BC has tight privacy laws

-Have informed parental consent when doing special things online

-Have that conversation with students

-Who do you tell when you see something inappropriate

-As a teacher, model how you would handle this with your students

-For parents who don’t want portfolios, help educate

-Compromise: ex: add student work to portfolios without names, processing in a word document instead of a blog, private posts in a blog instead of public

-“Advocate, educate, accommodate”

-Never match faces with names on social media

-Options to blur faces on social media

-Get parent and student permission before posting their work

-There are ways to include students whose parents don’t want them in photos, for example, let that student take the photo, hide that student behind something in the photo

1. Allows you to connect learners with the world in many different ways

-Connecting students to the outside world

-Hashtags with questions- students can get responses from all over the world

-Twitter: easy place to get a global audience

-Skyping classmates who can’t make it into class for a group project

-Going to other sources for information: making connections to the greater world and seeking help

-Blogging: allows students to put out their thoughts to the greater world as well as read posts from around the world

-Be open to using the world as part of your classroom

Coding Without Computers

When I think of coding, my mind immediately jumps to computers and technology. I’ve never really considered the possibility of hands-on coding without technology, but Cheryl Antoniazzi from Science World opened my eyes to new possiblities.

Cheryl went over the concept of computational thinking (problem solving) and the applied design process with our class. The applied design process includes:

Understanding context, defining, ideating, prototyping, testing, making, and sharing.

The fascinating part about the hands-on coding activities that were shared with us were that almost all, if not all of the applied design processes were present within the activities. This reinforced how great coding is for children and their critical thinking processes.

Some of the activities Cheryl shared with us were:

Coding in Chess using the Knight: we were given a board with different numbers. We were to start on number 1 and move in an L pattern, as a knight in chess would, to move around the board without landing on any number more than once.

Coding with a Map: We were given a route with different numbered stops (i.e. 1 is the library, 2 is the coffee shop, etc.) and told we have to find as many ways to start and end at the library by making every stop only once.

The great thing about these activities is that they are both applicable to real world contexts! I left this presentation feeling excited for all of the possiblities around coding without a computer. I feel more confident going into teaching knowing that not all coding needs to be done with technology.

Freshgrade

Freshgrade is popular app amongst teachers, but I’ve never actually seen it’s interface until our presentation with Cliff Waldie, Vice Principal of College Heights Elementary. Cliff broke down some of the purposes of Freshgrade with examples, which included:

1. Facilitate parent/teacher/student communication

-Inside access into what their children are learning and doing at school

Ex: Attach an assessment letting parent know where child is struggling

Ex: Share a project via video

Ex: Attach a video you are watching in class and share learning outcomes

Ex: Share and record reading evaluations

-Students become collaborators into their portfolio

-Students can respond back to things (ie this needs to be worked on)

1. Enhance assessment

-Can create artifacts (photos, videos, audio, notes) to assess and document learning in real time

-Teacher gradebooks are transparent parents and students

Overall, I saw many benefits of Freshgrade which included removal of messy writing, differentiation opporutnities, ease of use, opportunity for artifact use, and easy assessment options. I think true test of the efficacy of the app will be when it is put into practice, so I’ll be sure to update my opinion on Freshgrade after I’ve put it to practice in my practicum!

Technology Resources in the Classroom

Sally Song is a Grade 7 teacher in the Surrey school district who graciously shared some of her education technology tips and tricks with us. She has some valuable resources to share with us, some of which included:

-Office 365: this program can be used for student collaboration. Students simply sign up (for free in the Surrey district), and they have access to all of the Office programs. This allows them to create documents that they can all work on simultaneously, increasing the opportunity for collaborative work.

-“Remind” app: this app generates an anonymous phone number that you can send text messages from, so that your actual phone number isn’t revealed. Sally mentioned that she uses this app for planner reminders, which I thought was brilliant! This is such a game-changer if you’re somewhat forgetful (like me), and have forgotten to mention something to students before they leave school. Sally mentioned that we should turn two-way correspondence off so that we aren’t plagued with parent text messages.

These two programs are definitely something I’ll be looking into for my practicum. I plan on downloading the Remind app this weekend to do a trial run. Something else that Sally mentioned that sparked my interest was her Masters Degree in “Imaginative Education,” so I went over to her twitter to check it out. I noticed some tweets of her cohort doing some pretty interesting hands-on activities, so this is something I’ll be looking into as well. It is my goal to get a masters degree in education within 5 years, so I’ve been researching into different disciplines to see what I would like to focus on. I love how this Educational Technology class is taking me on different learning inquiry journeys- whether they are related or unrelated to Ed Tech!

« Older posts

© 2024 Jessica Erickson