Educators act ethically and maintain the integrity, credibility and reputation of the profession.

It is my duty as a teacher to act in an ethical and honest manner. I have taken Business and Professional Ethics at the post-secondary level, which has provided me with valuable information on how to act ethically and professionally. I have been able to take what I’ve learned and directly apply it through my lens as an educator. During my first practicum, I covered Ancient Greek Civilization in a series of lessons for my Grade 6/7 class. I took this opportunity to explore Ancient Greece as the birthplace of democracy. Through the inquiry of my students, we were able to move into the discussion of early democracy in Greece, and the ethical implications of the restriction of women and different societal classes from voting.

I was a mentor with Big Brothers Big Sisters prior to entering the education program at UNBC. In this volunteer role, I mentored in several different school settings. I wanted to set a good example for my mentee, and I tried to be a good role model by embodying traits such as honesty, respect, and kindness. I also had to made several different ethical decisions during my time as a mentor. My mentee was at the age where she was involved with social media platforms that she wanted to contact me through. I respectfully explained to my mentee why I was not allowed to add her on social media while welcoming her with other reasonable options to contact me such as through our mentoring appointments or through the school administration.

I am aware that I’m not only a role model for students in a school setting, but outside of school as well. I often see youth that I have worked with out in public, which is why I strive to model the best version of myself at all times.