Educators understand and apply knowledge of student growth and development.

An understanding of the growth and development of children is vital to how one teaches. I was required to take training courses prior to working at the YMCA in the childcare devision. The courses I took outlined brain development stages for children of different ages and different instruction techniques. After learning the theory of different development stages for children, I was able to put what I learned into practice. I led different daycare programs for  children aged 5-12, where I was able to get a grasp of different instructional techniques. Attached below is a copy of one of the certifications I received through the YMCA.

Not only have I had experience working with different development ages, but different exceptionalities as well. As a Casual Education Assistant I worked with children of different abilities. This experience allowed me to see that students begin and grow at different rates, which is why differentiation in the classroom is so important. Some of the exceptionalities I worked with that needed differentiation were autism, down syndrome, ADHD, FASD, and anxiety.

Responsible Adult Certification