Educators engage in professional learning.

Our role as a learner is a never ending journey, which is why I am always looking for opportunities to reflect on my practices and grow. I have participated in several professional development events that have enriched my knowledge as an educator. In spring of 2019, I attended the Spring Fling at PGSS with keynote speaker Ivan Coyote. The Spring Fling provided me with valuable knowledge on SOGI and the LGBTQ+ community. I also attended a teacher on call and self-care workshop at the Spring Fling.

Another great professional development event I attended was the People, Place, and Land exhibit at Vancouver Library. For this learning experience, a few of my peers and professors ventured out in the beautiful city of Vancouver as part of a walking curriculum activity. We then returned to the library to explore the exhibit, and ended by creating a learning stick as a final summative reflection of our learning. We collaborated with students and professors from VIU, which was amazing in order to get a different perspective on learning. This was one of the most unique and authentic place-based learning experiences that I’ve ever had the pleasure to participate in.