Assessment has undoubtedly been one of my biggest areas for growth as an educator. One of my most recent explorations in terms of assessment is starting my planning with assessment, rather than ending my planning with assessment. This method of planning embraces inclusiveness, seeing as you are creating a lesson plan with an access point in mind. This provides an opportunity for every single one of your learners to succeed. A great resource I have found to plan in such a way is Shelley Moore’s learning map, which is attached below. Moore’s learning maps allow you to plan for success in both content and curricular competencies by embracing the diversity within your classroom. This is done through the categories access, all, most, few, and extension.

Another area of my inquiry in assessment has been the topic of assessment of learning, as opposed to assessment of knowledge. British Columbia has done an excellent job of integrating the core competencies into their curriculum, moving away from strictly assessing content. I am extremely excited to be a apart of this new wave of education! Attached below is a mind map of some of my research on the topic of assessment of learning.

Assessment of Learning Mind Map